Last week’s First Steps’ Devotional centered on God’s Prevenient Grace – the work of God before one responds to God’s call. This week, our topic is what happens the moment one responds to that call. Upon human response, a person experiences conversion in the form of God’s Justifying Grace.
Paul wrote to the church in Corinth: “In Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them” (2 Cor 5:19). Justifying Grace is the work of God that reconciles, pardons, and restores a person. It is here that sins are forgiven and the image of God in a person, which was distorted by sin, is renewed.
Again, this is a gift from God and something God does for the person. The relationship is mended without jumping through hoops, restitution given, or personal atonement. The death and resurrection of Jesus was all that was needed. A person only needs to respond by faith in God’s grace in Jesus Christ.
This week’s reading:
- Monday – 1 Cor. 12
- Tuesday – 1 Cor. 13, 1 Cor. 14
- Wednesday – 1 Cor. 15, 1 Cor. 16
- Thursday – 2 Cor. 1, 2 Cor. 2
- Friday – 2 Cor. 3, 2 Cor. 4, 2 Cor. 5, 2 Cor. 6
Please Pray for:
- Ongoing Building Renovations, Modifications.
- Our families, homes, workplace, church, and community.
- Those who are unwillingly absent.
- Those who are grieving and depressed.
- Our nation and our leaders.
- The United Methodist Church.